Sunday, July 22, 2007

PLUSES AND MINUSES

I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth. Just ran into some bumps in the road this week. The main one involves my historically sensitive skin. There are times when I wish I had a hide more like, say a pumpkin rather than a peach. Usually lots of showers and talcum powder keep me fairly happy. Occasionally things get out of hand (for reasons I’ve never been able to catalog) and I end up with an “irritation” in an area you really don’t want irritated. And it got out of control. Didn’t help that we had an office meeting this week. And the usual location is literally two buildings over and about a block away. Like an idiot I soldiered on, by Friday I was seriously sore. Rats. Shot this weekend to hell.

 

The marathon knitting session is over. Managed two shawls in two and a half weeks. Interesting thing, nobody has heard of prayer shawls or the ministry some churches and small groups have. Added a couple of cards with an explanation of “what this is.” Hopefully a couple of people will end up  with big fuzzy hugs and maybe somebody else will try to do it too.

 

 

 

 

Spent some time Sunday making a frame for the card. Went to website for the Lion Brand Homespun yarn I love to use. Used the pictures of the different yarns and Photoshop Elements to craft the frame. This isn't all the colors but it's a good representaion of the colors available. Thought it would go well with the shawls.

 

Totally pissed off with the story of the dog fighting quarterback from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Atlanta. Yes, I can understand that he hasn’t been convicted of a crime yet. But, this happened on his property. Even if he never bought or fought a dog hewas involved. Either that or he’s guilty of terminal stupidity if he tries to claim he didn’t know what was going on. Rather than demonstrating in front of the Falcons headquarters maybe the fans should announce that they’re boycotting the team until the SOB is at least suspended. I wonder if part of the problem is the whole macho sports culture in this country. We had a problem in Portland a few years ago with a Trailblazers player and dog cruelty charges. Also OSU football players and rape charges-over several seasons. (This was a few years ago) A culture devoutly to be avoided.  But while it makes so damn much money involved these turkey’s aren’t going to be held accountable for anything.

 

Two things that I simply can’t wrap my brain around. One, how can anyone treat an animal this way? Either fighting them or using other animals “bait?” I don’t get it, I just don’t get it. Second, the supporting stories about police raids have some interesting details. The spectators manage to escape but property gets left behind. Including children’s items. These jerks are bringing their kids to these “contests.” I definitely don’t get that.

 

The flowers are beautiful, the beans are growing, and we’ve gotten our first tomatoes. Mom lucked out and managed to get the tail end of the cherry crop for canning. If you buy seventeen pounds of cherries to can you will handle every last cherry before you’re done. But, they will taste really good in January.

 

On the whole there are more plusses at the end of the week than minuses. I can be thankful for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great frame for the prayer shawl card. Nice job! I need to learn photoshop one of these days.
Oh, that dog stuff is so gross. And they had kids there? Disgusting.
But having more plusses than minuses at the end of the week is always a good thing. Sorry about the rash. Ouch. --Cin

Anonymous said...

This whole weekend has been a bump in the road.  Glad you made through.  :)

Russ