Saturday, March 12, 2005

Sunshine Saturday


Ok, most of Oregon is on the verge of a drought alert, but it's a beautiful morning and I shot out my first outdoor roll of film of the year. When I realized how sparkly the dew was on the new growth is was out the door at 7:30. And I usually can't be coaxed out of my bathrobe before nine on Saturday.

Got what I hope are some great shots of the siskins at the feeders using my 135mm telephoto. I suspect that lens is going to get a work out this summer. I hope I got a couple of good shots of a homely plant called a rock hyacinth. The leaves are homely-the flowers are a beautiful rose pink. If they work out I'll post them next week when I get the film. I know, I know, but anticipation is half the fun.

I got within about four feet of the feeder with the long lens so my fingers are crossed.

As far as new plants this year. We got an evergreen clematis last week and I think that's it for this year. New plants require more water than I think is going to be available this year. We're looking at placing soakers around the plantings that are in and putting a good layer of mulch. With luck we can get through with a cycle of good soaking every couple of weeks or so. Luckily for us we live on the east side of a hill. Even at the summer solstice we're in the shade by five. That gives us a window where the water can do the most good.

So it's off to pick up film and price hoses. Oh, and say a prayer for our microwave. Old faithful finally gave up the ghost this morning. I think it was about twenty years old. They definately don't make 'em like that anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a big old microwave too:) Ugly, but functional!

Anonymous said...

Yeah...all this sun and warm weather SEEMS nice now, but we are definitely going to start paying the piper soon enought.  Lisa  :-]