Thursday, January 19, 2006

A SENSE OF SOMETHING

Something totally freaking weird happened this morning. And folks that’s the mild description. I was thinking about the journal entry I did last night. The phrase “the whole planet is alive” popped through my mind. That fits, that was the theme of the entry. Then the sentence completed itself. I was not expecting this, I really was not. The whole planet is alive; and screaming.  And just for an instant, maybe half an instant, there was this mind-bending sense of “wrongness." A jumble of sounds and images. Continental plates grinding, whole forests falling, winds howling and a feeling of bottomless, endless grief. Sorry, that’s the best I can do with the sledgehammer we call language. I had to get out of the office for a few minutes. I was almost in tears for crying out loud.

 

That’s the best I can do. I don’t think there are words for what I felt in that microsecond. And I haven’t had anything mind altering this morning. Last time I checked oatmeal, applesauce and lemon ginger tea aren’t on any list of controlled substances. I suspect it was the entry itself. If words are mind altering, then I’m altered. While my brain is still doing little (and not so little) summersaults this had to happen for a reason. What the reason is I’m not sure….yet. I tapped into........what or who?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I tapped into........what or who?"

The universe, baby.
I've heard it.

Paula
http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author

Anonymous said...

I've never had such an experience, but I often mourn what we have done to this beautiful planet, and probably beyond.  Also, man's inhumanity to man, which is expressed constantly even in this "enlightened" day and age.