Wednesday, February 7, 2007

READY TO SPIT

Haven’t been posting much the last week or so. I’ve been trying to finish a couple of knitting projects. I can surf the net and knit, (at least as long as the pattern is very simple) but I can’t type and knit. At least not of either to make a difference. LOL And I really want to get this piece done.

 

I forget the name of the page in Newsweek where I first came across this story. It's the one with all the goofy editorial cartoons and "I know you won't believe it but it really happened" snippets. My first reaction was "what the *(&))!" and then I got madder, if that was possible. I guess it was. Few things make me actually see red. Pure, unmitigated, stupidity ranks near the top. Actually pulled something in my shoulder throwing the poor magazine across the room. Talk about killing the messenger.

 

Ever come across something that makes you so mad you could just spit?  Or end up using a couple of broad words in front of your mother? Read these first.

 

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/30/jailed.rapevictim.ap/index.html

 

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/30/Tampabay/Police_jail_rape_vict.shtml

 

 

What is it with these people? She’s a pre-med student. They have her address. I doubt if she was going anywhere. The medical supervisor is now claiming that she couldn’t give the medication without specific orders and religion wasn’t discussed. What’s wrong, your dialing finger broken? Battery die in your cell phone? There’s nobody to call to get an ok for the medication? If the victims’ claims are true, what, there wasn’t someone you could call to dispense the medication in your place? And by the way the supervisor is an employee of a private firm contracted to provide medical services at the jail.

 

What happens if her story about the rape is true and the delay in the investigation leaves this guy on the street to attack someone else? If there is another victim after this she should consider suing the socks off the City of Tampa and anyone else involved in this fiasco. I know this conscience clause crap has been happening in different parts of the country and it makes me had as hell. If you don’t want to be put in the position of violating your personal beliefs then take a job where it won’t come up.

 

Personally, I believe the only group that can make a claim like this stand up are the Jains. They believe ALL life is sacred and go very far out of their way to try and do as little harm to even the smallest life forms as possible.

 

As for the rest, I assume that you make it to every anti war rally and anti capital punishment rally you can get to. Yeah, right and there’s a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn and some swampland up the road on the market. Cheap.

 

To its credit the city has already changed procedures to avoid something like this in the future. Trouble is, it shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Has some form of critical mass been reached? When did following the rules become more important than compassion? Or has it always been this way for some and we just didn’t see it because it couldn’t possibly happen to us, could it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having worked in a women's prison, I'm not surprised. Women are revictimized by "the system" more than this one case shows. And I'd be surprised if her attacker is treated that brutally.--Cin

Anonymous said...

You're angry.  This makes me angry too.  It helps to know that you are on my side.  I hope it helps to know that I'm on your side too.

Hug,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I have two thoughts: 1.) This whole sceario is pretty reprehensible... and 2.) Why is it being sensationalized in the press?  Kinda makes you wonder...  Lisa  :-]