Monday, January 10, 2005

YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT?

If you heard the sound of spluttering and expletives deleted coming from the general direction of the southern Willamette Valley tonight it was probably me.

The court martial for the soldier accused of being the ring leader behind most of the abuses at Abu Graib started today. I nearly drowned the cat in lukewarm tea when the defense attorney compared the pyramids of prisoners to the pyramids cheerleaders do at ball gaimes.

A squawk of "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" (I was raised a Protestant, but this is very handy when mom is around) followed the comparison of leading these guys around on leashes to the tethers put on small children so they don't wander off in busy public places!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Writng what I was THINKING would probably get me blacklisted off AOL. But it ended with "These guys are in prison.Where exactly are they going to WANDER off to?"

I don't know where this trial is being held. but sombody better either check the water supply or find out what this guy's been sniffing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how much of this crap is bought by whoever is passing judgment on this guy...  I have a feeling it will be more than you or I can stomach.  Lisa :-]

Anonymous said...

Did you notice how confident (that looks like it is missing a letter) the defendant appears?  Even though I do believe the actually guards should be held accountable, (that looks lie too many letters) I feel sad that no one in a higher postion is being charged.  Someone higher allowed and promoted that techinque.

Anonymous said...

The soldiers responsible need to be punished for their actions....as do their superior officers all the way up the line.  How Rumsfeld didn't get fired for this is mind boggling.  How Alberto Gonzales' memos defending the use of torture and explanations of the Geneva Conventions as "quaint" is even more mind boggling. Those pictures of prisoner abuse were one of the most potent recruiting tools for the Iraqi insurgency and for Al Qaida.  Makes me sick.

Anonymous said...

"Those pictures of prisoner abuse were one of the most potent recruiting tools for the Iraqi insurgency and for Al Qaida.  Makes me sick."

Ditto! So true.

Anonymous said...

To be honest I have barely kept up with the whole thing but I think that it was just sick that a person/"human" could treat another human this way ever.

Amy

http://journals.aol.com/visionarydiva1/AVisionaryDiva
http://journals.aol.com/visionarydiva1/ABookClubforJLanders